Sunday, August 21, 2011

Good Readers, Good Writers: Discussion Topic 7

I think that Vladimir Nabokov has extreme authority over his writing. He uses examples that flow, and he makes his words help his idea, not hinder the ideas with wordy, dull statements. Nabokov uses vivid pictures that help his audience see his point. By the end of this essay, you see where he is coming from, and there is very little opposition because his points are made so well. He commands his words, not the other way around, which I consider extreme authority. Nabokov makes his words tell a story, and even though this essay isn't a story, you find it just as interesting as your favorite book.

Nabokov has authority over his writing all through this essay. You can practically hear how he talks when he puts the words together. He commands them to make his point and practically take you in the classroom where he is lecturing at one college or another. I find this very interesting. I was able to read this essay and completely concentrate on it, even with noise in the background. Essays are not my favorite things to read, but with his use of words, it made it interesting for me, which I think shows much authority as a writer. I think that to write like Nabokov should be a writer's goal.

Nabokov, Vladimir. "Good Readers and Good Writers." Lecture

No comments:

Post a Comment