Monday, August 15, 2011

The Picture of Dorian Gray: Discussion Topic 4

I wouldn't say that there is really a hero in this book, just because of the attitudes of all the main characters. But, if I had to choose who the protagonist would be, it would be Dorian Gray because he is whom the book is about. In my opinion, his traits are not very good. He does not have any morals at all, so that makes him vain, shallow, rude, and I think slightly paranoid.

In my opinion, Dorian Gray does not really accomplish anything in this book. All he seems to do is go to the opera, lunch at the gentlemen's club, eat with people, throw parties, and hunt. He does not get a job or go to school or become well educated to do something with his life. I think the reason for this is that Wilde wants to make a point about how focusing on your looks will not take you far.

Dorian to me is portrayed as vain, self centered, rude, paranoid, and snotty. I think that he seems uneducated and ignorant. I think that Dorian does represent the abstract idea of vanity. He is only focused on looks, and in the end he dies alone and sad in his attic. Wilde is trying to prove a point and he made it by showing how vanity can affect you in the long run.

Wilde, Oscar. The Picture of Dorian Gray. New York: Barnes and Noble Classics. 2003. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment